Thursday 19 July 2012

Oxford and Gloucester

 Oxford and Gloucester sounds like a Building Society.  But actually, as a total digression from my holiday I thought I'd just show you a couple of photos that Dad took in 1928 while he was on holiday at the age of 21.  I came across them in an old album while looking for something else recently.  (If you click on them they will enlarge.  Sorry about the watermarks but they strike me as the sort of picture that folk might try to 'borrow' without permission!  I'm usually happy to give permission but don't really want to just have them appear all over the place without acknowledgement.)

Broad Street, Oxford


Broad Street, Oxford


Westgate Street, Gloucester

Northgate Street, Gloucester


I think things may have changed a bit since then...


4 comments:

  1. Oxford & Gloucester would be a great name for a law firm too. Great photos. I'll bet a lot of the buildings are still there, and still being used, though the horses and the costumes have probably changed a bit. xoxoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I have never been to Oxford myself, I can't really tell how much has changed there (apart from the obvious things like cars and people's clothes). But it is fascinating, isn't it, how one is looking for something and then comes across something else, just like Graham did when he was looking up the deadly sins and found that bit about excessive wealth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those two particular places must have been so much nicer than they are today. Oxford is a nightmare now, but I even dream of the way it must have been then - quieter and more rural.

    Funnily enough I have an album of oxford pics taken in the late 1920s. I got mine from a jumble sale or junk shop or something (can't remember now).

    ReplyDelete
  4. They certainly have. I was fortunate to find 2 books full of photos of Liverpool in a charity shop taken in late 19th and early 20th century recently. I shall post on them probably in winter time when there is less to post on outside.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive